coronavirus

Second coronavirus case confirmed in Indiana

coronavirusfiller

The second case of coronavirus has been confirmed Sunday in Hendricks County, Indiana, according to the Indiana Department of Health. 

The man traveled to Boston in late February to attend the BioGen conference and has been quarantined with mild symptoms, according to the IndyStar reports. He has not been hospitalized and has been experiencing symptoms since March 2. 

According to the IndyStar, more than a dozen COVID-19 cases nationwide have been tied to the conference, including a Marion County resident who was identified Friday.  

“This new case isn’t surprising, but we know it causes concern in the community,” State Health Commissioner Dr. Kris Box said in a statement. “I urge Hoosiers to continue to educate themselves about this illness and take common-sense precautions, but also to be aware that the vast majority of COVID-19 cases are mild in individuals without underlying medical conditions.”

Hendricks County health officer Dr. David Stopperich said in a statement that the county has prepared for coronavirus and assured residents that all necessary steps are being taken to reduce the spread of the illness.

“Our health department and the entire medical community of Hendricks County have been working in conjunction with schools, emergency management and other organizations to develop plans to limit the spread of this disease,” Stopperich wrote in the statement. “I ask anyone who thinks they might have symptoms of COVID-19 to call a healthcare provider so they can be evaluated by phone before going to a medical facility.”

According to the Centers for Disease Controls and Prevention website, the best ways to prevent the spread of the virus are to avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth, covering coughs and sneezes and staying home when you are sick. Wiping down frequently touched surfaces with cleaning sprays or wipes is recommended as well.