Little 500 qualifications pushed back due to coronavirus, future of race unknown

<p>Riders line up April 13, 2019, before the start of the 2019 Little 500. All Little 500 practices, qualifications and spring series events have been suspended until after April 6, race director Andrea Balzano announced Thursday.</p>

Riders line up April 13, 2019, before the start of the 2019 Little 500. All Little 500 practices, qualifications and spring series events have been suspended until after April 6, race director Andrea Balzano announced Thursday.

All Little 500 practices, qualifications and spring series events have been suspended until after April 6, race director Andrea Balzano announced Thursday. The future of the Little 500 races remain unknown.

Balzano said all decisions about the cancellation or rescheduling of Little 500 will be made by April 13. As of Thursday, the men’s and women’s races were still expected to be happen April 24-25.

“The decision to make these changes has not been an easy one,” Balzano said in a release. “The safety and health of our students is our top priority.” 

Qualifications were originally set for March 28 and will be tentatively moved to April 11. Track practice, scheduled to take place from March 23-April 3, is canceled effective immediately. Individual Time Trials, Miss N Out and Team Pursuit will also be canceled. 

Riders, coaches and officials have all been notified about the changes.

Balzano said that all decisions are still subject to change.

Stay on top of the COVID-19 and vaccination news. This weekly newsletter will package our coverage of cornavirus news, updates and the critical information you need to know.

Comments