IDS Connect

Junior Jacob deCastro named fall 2020 editor-in-chief

headshot croppe rectangle.jpg

The IU Student Media Publications Board named Jacob deCastro the fall 2020 editor-in-chief of the Indiana Daily Student on Friday. 

The junior from Indianapolis has worked for the IDS the past five semesters. As a member of the IDS staff, deCastro has served as managing editor of digital, digital editor, special publications editor and page designer. He was previously a member of the IU Student Media Publications Board. 

This fall, deCastro said he wants to pursue innovative storytelling methods to boost audience engagement, such as IDS Facebook groups, podcasts and Ask IDS. He also plans to expand Bloomington coverage through city reporter positions and creating connections within the community. 

Within the newsroom, deCastro said he wants to build a collaborative and inclusive environment where each staff member feels valued. 

“When the fall 2020 semester is over, I want the legacy of the semester to be that we created one newsroom,” deCastro said in his application. “The IDS succeeds because we work together until the job is done.”

The IU Student Media Publications Board is made up of professional journalists, professors, the dean of the Media School and current IDS staff members. The board conducted an interview Friday with each editor-in-chief candidate via a Zoom conference call.