sports coronavirus esports

IU Super Smash Bros. tournament Full Bloom 6 canceled due to coronavirus

esports.jpg

Bloomington's premier Super Smash Bros. tournament series, Full Bloom, has been canceled by organizers because of COVID-19 concerns, according to a Wednesday release from Smash At IUB. This will mark the first time in the event’s existence that it has been canceled.

The tournament was scheduled for March 28-29. The dates coincide with the 2-week period where in-person courses are canceled due to coronavirus.

This year's iteration of the tournament, Full Bloom 6, had more than 500 entrants. The event was scheduled to include a 24-hour open venue at the Indiana Memorial Union with hardware to play the tournament’s two premier games, Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

The organizers of the tournament, Smash at IUB club seniors Austin Fletch and Craig Sullivan, said in the release that everyone who paid to enter the tournament will receive a full refund by the end of April.

“We understand this is an unusual circumstance and appreciate your flexibility,” Fletcher and Full Bloom staff said in the release. “The team is already looking forward to next year's iteration of Full Bloom. Thank you in advance for your patience and we’ll see everyone next March!”

Full Bloom has been a staple at IU since 2015 and has included professional players such as Joseph “Mang0” Marquez, William “Leffen” Hjelte and Enrique “Maister” Solís.