sports coronavirus

UPDATE: IU Athletics won't change planned events despite coronavirus concerns

basketball.jpg

All IU Athletics practices and home events will continue as planned, and fans will still be allowed to attend on-campus events, according to an email sent by IU Athletic Director Fred Glass Tuesday to department staff and student athletes.

Glass said in the email that he created an Athletics Medical Advisory Group to inform the department about concerns related to the coronavirus. The group is made up of IU Athletics Chief Medical Officer Dr. Andy Hipskind, IU team physician Dr. Larry Rink and infectious disease specialist Dr. Tom Hrismalos.

The Medical Advisory Group will review all pending IU athletic events, Glass said. 

The international and domestic travel ban IU announced Tuesday through April 5 doesn’t prohibit travel for official team and individual competition. Planned travel will be reviewed by the Medical Advisory Group and other authorities and still could be canceled, according to the email. 

This could affect recruiting, since all other domestic and international travel by athletics staff is prohibited.

The IU Athletic campus will also remain open. This includes the Excellence Academy, the Wilkinson Performance Center, the Shuel Academic Center, the Tobias Nutrition Center and all training and practice facilities.

The athletic department will determine if any staff members can work from home.

The Big Ten released a statement Saturday afternoon saying all tournaments and championships would continue as scheduled.

The IU athletic department declined to further comment.

Between March 10 and April 5, only one day does not have a scheduled IU Athletic event. The men’s basketball Big Ten Tournament is still set to begin Wednesday night in Indianapolis. 

McRobbie said in another email Tuesday that face-to-face classroom teaching would be suspended through April 5.

He strongly encouraged event organizers to cancel or reschedule events through April 6.

IU does not know of any COVID-19 cases on campus.