IU baseball will play against Cincinnati at home Wednesday

<p>Sophomore Grant Richardson swings his bat March 7 at Bart Kaufman Field. IU will play the University of Cincinnati on Wednesday in Bloomington.</p>

Sophomore Grant Richardson swings his bat March 7 at Bart Kaufman Field. IU will play the University of Cincinnati on Wednesday in Bloomington.

IU baseball will play its second midweek game in a row when it faces the University of Cincinnati at 4:05 p.m. Wednesday at Bart Kaufman Field.

The team is also scheduled to play the University of Evansville at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Evansville, Indiana. 

The Hoosiers’ record is 8-5 for the season. They are on a two-game losing streak after losing their weekend series at home.

IU has gone 5-5 in its last 10 games against Cincinnati and is 2-3 at home.

Cincinnati has a season record of 7-7 and is on a three-game winning streak, but the team has yet to win a game on the road.

IU's starting pitcher is freshman David Platt. He has pitched 7 2/3 total innings out of the bullpen this season and has a 4.70 earned runs average. Platt’s most recently appeared last weekend against the University of San Diego in the team’s second game Saturday. He allowed four hits and four runs, three of which were earned, during the 1 1/3 innings he pitched.

Cincinnati will start junior pitcher Garrett Schoenle on Wednesday. Schoenle has pitched in three games this season with a total of 6 1/3 innings pitched and has an 11.37 ERA. He started 12 times last season, earning a 5.95 ERA and 62 strikeouts over 56 total innings pitched. 

Senior outfielder Jeremy Johnson is one of Cincinnati’s most consistent hitters. He has a .370 batting average for the season and has 13 runs batted in.

IU has hit well all season, with junior outfielder Elijah Dunham and sophomore outfielder Grant Richardson leading the team, but struggled to find success batting in the last two games. The team was struck out 13 times in its second game Saturday and nine times Sunday.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.