arts coronavirus

All Cardinal Stage performances canceled for remainder of season

entCardinalStagebrief.jpg

The Cardinal Stage has canceled the remainder of its 2019-2020 season in compliance with recommendations from government officials.

The cancellations include the upcoming productions of “Ada and the Engine,” “The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales” and “Hedwig and the Angry Inch.”

In response to the cancellations, the Cardinal Stage has organized a “Quarantine Cabaret.” These entertainment videos are published on the company’s Facebook and Instagram pages at noon on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. They are roughly five minutes in length.

The videos feature a variety of current and past Cardinal Stage actors and faculty. Performances will include songs, monologues, dances and short lessons filmed from performers’ homes or wherever they are self-quarantining.

Marketing Manager Cassie Hakken started working on the project this week. She filmed a vocal performance with her boyfriend that will be published in the coming weeks.

“We were thinking of ways we could engage with our community without producing shows,” Hakken said. “We’re really committed to making theater that strengthens our community.”

The group plans on increasing the productions to one every weekday after this week. In future, the Cardinal Stage has also considered continuing this format if they find it is received well.

“We just wanted to bring joy, laughter and some theater into people’s homes at this time,” Hakken said.