OPINION: IU men’s basketball finally buys into Archie Miller’s system

Spiubbrecap022320 (7).jpg

At times in IU’s 68-60 victory over No. 9 Penn State the team looked like a possible contender for the Big Ten Tournament title. It may be weird to think that just two games after being embarrassed by Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, the Hoosiers have seemingly figured out how to win.

IU finally realized star freshman Trayce Jackson-Davis must contribute early or he’ll lose interest while his productivity plummets. The Hoosiers also learned the 3-point line isn't consistent, and shots inside the post are the only reliable offense.  

Concepts that have been obvious for months as a spectator are finally being carried out on the court.

“We play the game in 10 four-minute battles, 10 four-minute rounds like a fight,” IU head coach Archie Miller said. “If you don’t win a four-minute round, like a fight, you’ve got to find a way to win as many rounds as you can.”

The first half was possibly the best basketball IU played all season, taking a 13-point lead into the locker room. At the end of each four-minute round, the Hoosiers looked to be one punch away from knocking out the Nittany Lions.

IU put a stranglehold on Penn State in the first half. Miller admitted the offense can’t carry the team after the game, fully committing to play a high-pressure style of defense that creates easy baskets.

The team forced nine turnovers while holding Penn State to just 35% shooting from the field. The defense fed the offense while IU scored 10 fast break points while shooting 14-27.

For the first time since IU knocked off then-No. 17 Florida State University on Dec. 3, Miller looked relaxed on the sideline. The third-year IU head coach leaned back on the scorer’s table while he watched his team dominate on both sides of the court.

In the second half, Miller’s laid back demeanor disappeared while the Hoosiers’ lead quickly evaporated in the opening minutes. Before Miller could even figure out what happened, Penn State opened the half on a 12-0 run to cut the lead to one.

All season IU has been horrible at responding to deficits, and this felt like another imminent collapse.

“We knew they were going to go on a run. They’re the number nine ranked team in the country,” junior forward Justin Smith said. “It’s always how you respond and how you kind of stay with it. Stay with the course and not really worry about any run that’s going on in the game.”

IU amazingly snapped out of its lull in time to give itself a chance, trading baskets for a few minutes before breaking the game back open.

As soon as junior forward Race Thompson — who has been the Energizer Bunny for IU the last four games — checked in with 12:38 remaining in the first half, IU regained its dominance.

The Hoosiers went on a 13-0 run with under 12 minutes to stretch their lead back out to seven while they overwhelmed the Nittany Lions. Thompson made every hustle play IU could have hoped for, chasing down loose balls, grabbing rebounds over navy blue jerseys and closing out on open shooters.

Thompson’s eight points and four rebounds may not seem like a lot, but he helped the Hoosiers play hard-nosed basketball that fits their system. His effort was infectious and the rest of the team sprung to life to upset Penn State.

IU has known all season what works and what doesn’t, but for some reason, the team has taken until now to dedicate itself to that style of play. In three of the last four games, the Hoosiers have executed their game plan perfectly and look like a team you may want to avoid come tournament season in March.

“I think right now our team has pretty much figured out all the looks, all the feeling good stuff is out,” Miller said. “It doesn't matter anymore. Right now this is about playing the best ball you can at the right time.”