student life

IU senior to compete in 'Jeopardy!' College Championship

cajeopardy020320

IU senior Tyler Combs will be one of 15 students to compete in the "Jeopardy!" College Championship in April. 

Combs is from Greenfield, Indiana, according to a press release from "Jeopardy!". The championship will run April 6 to 17.

“It's a nice way of closing out my time at IU,” Combs said in an interview with the Indiana Daily Student.

He will be competing alongside students from colleges across the country including Yale University, Princeton University, the University of California San Diego and Northwestern University, according to the release.

The process for selection began in September when he took an online exam, Combs said. The next step involved an audition in St. Louis that consisted of another test, round simulations and personality interviews.

Along with the $100,000 grand prize, the winner of the 10-day tournament will also have a chance to compete in the next edition of the "Jeopardy!" Tournament of Champions, according to the release. In the Tournament of Champions, contestants who have won the most games in the prior season as well as the winners of the Teachers Tournament and College Championship compete against one another for a $250,000 prize. "Jeopardy!" is in its 36th season and is hosted by Alex Trebek. 

He tried to prepare by staying up to date on the four categories he considers staples for “Jeopardy!”: history, literature, politics and geography. Combs was in California Monday to film all of the episodes in two days.

“It’s two super long days for two weeks of content,” Combs said. 

Combs said his episode of Jeopardy College Championship will air April 10.

This story was updated at 7:50 p.m. Feb. 4 to include information from an interview with Tyler Combs.