We've redesigned our website, please let us know what you think.

IU men’s track and field sets personal records in Meyo Invitational

<p>Junior distance runner Cooper Williams runs the second lap of the 600-meter race during the Gladstein Invitational on Jan. 25 in Gladstein Fieldhouse. Williams took second in the 600-meter during the Meyo Invitational on Feb. 7-8 in South Bend, Indiana.</p>

Junior distance runner Cooper Williams runs the second lap of the 600-meter race during the Gladstein Invitational on Jan. 25 in Gladstein Fieldhouse. Williams took second in the 600-meter during the Meyo Invitational on Feb. 7-8 in South Bend, Indiana.

The IU men’s track and field team earned many different personal records Saturday at the Meyo Invitational in South Bend, Indiana. 

Senior Willie Morrison broke the school record in the shot put with a mark of 20.21 meters. 

“It felt really good when I saw the distance, because I have never thrown that far before,” Morrison said.

In addition to the school record, Morrison broke the Philippines national record with his throw.

“The mark was never that far for being a national record,” Morrison said. “I knew I could throw that far, and once I saw the distance, I got a huge sense of pride.”

Junior Cooper Williams took second in the 600-meter with a time of 1:17.33, only 0.13 seconds behind first place finisher Brian Faust from Purdue. Williams also placed fifth in the 800-meter.

IU’s distance team had an impressive day, taking the top two spots in the 5,000-meter and the mile. Sophomore Jake Gebhardt took first in the 5000-meter with a time of 14:27.21 while fellow sophomore Skylar Stidam finished second. In the mile junior Ben Veatch placed first with a time of 4:04.21. Junior Teddy Browning finished second.

Sophomore Rikkoi Brathwaite won the 200-meter dash with a time of 21.23 seconds. IU wide receiver Whop Philyor competed in the 60-meter dash but failed to make it past the preliminary round. 

Other personal records set during the meet include sophomore Shaton Vaughn in the 400-meter with a time of 47.66 which placed him second in the race. 

The Hoosiers will look to build upon these personal records as they move closer to the NCAA Indoor Championships on March 13-14.

“We just have to keep our bodies and minds right the rest of the season, and we’ll continue to put up strong numbers,” Morrison said.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments