Bloomington IHOP celebrates its first National Pancake Day

Capancakeday022520.jpg

IHOP celebrates National Pancake Day annually nationwide on Feb. 25. Customers could receive a free short stack of pancakes on Tuesday. For the occasion, the Bloomington location doubled the staff and was ready to serve an estimated 3,000 pancakes.

Even hours past breakfast time, IHOP was serving plates of pancakes, crepes and omelets to the customers. The aroma of sugar and sweets filled the air.

IHOP manager Josh Eppert said there had been a steady stream of customers all day.

"Although it seems stressful, with careful planning and a sense of urgency, we are thriving in and out,” Eppert said.

Eppert has worked at IHOP for 14 years and has been a manager for the past six.

National Pancake Day has been a tradition at IHOP since 2006. It is a fundraising effort for IHOP’s partnership with Children’s Miracle Network. Customers receiving free pancakes are encouraged to donate to the network, supporting children with terminal illnesses. 

IHOP has raised over $22 million for children with terminal illnesses, according to the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals' website.

Bloomington’s IHOP location opened Nov. 30, 2019, making this the first year celebrating National Pancake Day. 

IU senior Areon Crawfordsaid she recently began visiting Bloomington’s IHOP because it’s casual and open 24 hours.

“I enjoy coming here because it’s not an upscale restaurant,” Crawford said. ”My favorite food happens to be pancakes, so today is the perfect day for me to come in.”

IU opera studentsGregory McClelland, Jeremiah Sanders and Hayley Lipke came to the restaurant to celebrate free pancake day and dress rehearsal of their upcoming show. Sanders said this was his second time coming to IHOP this week.

“Besides the free pancakes, IHOP attracts me because they are one of the few restaurants that leave a coffee pot on the table,” Lipke said.

Bloomington resident Nora Barber often comes into the restaurant because of the significant portion size at a low cost.

“I can never go wrong with buttermilk pancakes, hash browns and hot chocolate,” Barber said.