student life

Zeta Phi Beta celebrates centennial Thursday

zeta phi beta centennial.jpg

The Delta Epsilon and Upsilon Kappa Zeta chapters of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated honored the 100 years of history of the organization and celebrated service for their communities Thursday. Bloomington Mayor John Hamilton proclaimed Jan. 16 to be Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated Day.

Founded at Howard University on Jan.16, 1920 the historically-black sorority's centennial celebration makes it the seventh of the National Pan-Hellenic Council nine members to reach this historic milestone.

“Because of the time period in which my sorority was founded, I know it was hard for black women to seek education and then also to create space to in those educational spaces for themselves to prosper and keep each other motivated,” said Brionna Johnson, a senior and Zeta Phi Beta President.   

During the 1920s, five black women –Arizona Cleaver Stemons, Pearl Anna Neal, Myrtle Tyler Faithful, Viola Tyler Goings and Fannie Pettie Watts –founded the historically black greek-lettered organization Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated.

“These five incredible black women on the campus of Howard University came together and created an organization with no clear idea of how grand it would grow to be” said Tamara Brown, sophomore and Zeta Phi Beta member. 

The celebration started with members of the Delta Epsilon chapter laying white roses on the Zeta Phi Beta monument at the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center.

zetaphibeta.jpeg
Members of Zeta Phi Beta place roses Jan. 16 on the Zeta Phi Beta monument at the Neal-Marshall Black Cultural Center. Zeta Phi Beta turned 100 this year. Nick Telman

"It shows the purity within the principal of finer womanhood and holding yourself to a higher standard as a woman, and more specifically a black woman in an education setting,” Johnson said.

Later in the evening the graduate and undergraduate chapters of Zeta Phi Beta and other members of the NPHC at the Monroe County Public Library auditorium to honor the history of Zeta Phi Beta. Phi Beta Sigma fraternity member and IU alumni Troy Thomas Jr. performed an original song, "Kodak." Additionally, the chapters presented charities with a check for $1,920. The charities included the Banneker Community Center, the Community Kitchen of Monroe County, the Hannah Center, the Hoosier Hills Food Bank and the Rise. 

“The fact that our service touches the heart and lives of other people is very inspiring to see and it motivates us to continue that same service," Johnson said.

The celebration was also an opportunity to look to the future ofZeta Phi Beta.

“I am grateful for the opportunity to celebrate how far we’ve come and be a part of creating where we’ve yet to go,”Brown said. 

Correction: A previous version of this article incorrectly identified the chapter name. The IDS regrets this error.