Mohamed Samy helps IU men’s swimming and diving take down Purdue

spiumsd012520_2.jpg

Prior to IU’s dual meet versus in-state rival Purdue, IU recognized Mohamed "Mishu" Samy and fellow senior Wyeth Brock as part of senior day. But to Samy, Saturday was just another step toward his goal of an NCAA title.

The Hoosiers won 14 of their 16 events, including podium sweeps of six races and the one-meter springboard competition. IU bounced back coming off of a hard-fought loss at Michigan on Jan. 11.

“I think that loss to Michigan is going to be a blessing in disguise,” IU head coach Ray Looze said. “This was a good move in the right direction against our in-state rival. We’re going to need everyone, from all the disciplines, going down the stretch into the NCAAs.”

Samy went on to win the 50 freestyle, the 100 backstroke, and the 200 breaststroke. He also contributed as the anchor leg of the winning 400 freestyle relay against Purdue, accounting for 27 individual points in the Hoosiers' 179-112 win over the Boilermakers. 

Sophomore Mikey Calvillo also had major contributions, winning the 1000 free and the 400 individual medley. 

“It’s always an honor to win here in our home pool,” Samy said. “I’m just building confidence going into the Big Ten championships. I want to win my three events there, and go into NCAAs and do my best there.”

When Looze was asked about Samy, he had high praise for the senior swimmer. 

“He’s been one of our best swimmers,” he said. “He’s a potential superstar.” 

Looze continued, saying that for Samy to reach his superstar potential, he needs to work toward making the NCAA championships, represent Egypt in the Olympics and ultimately be the first swimmer from Egypt to finish on the Olympic podium come August. 

“If you win NCAAs, you have a good chance of being top eight minimally, and maybe even on the podium at the Olympics," Looze said. "If Mishu can do that at this upcoming NCAAs, it is really going to foreshadow making the Olympics and doing something no Egyptian male has ever done.” 

IU’s victory increases its win streak over Purdue to ten consecutive meets, dating back to Feb. 5, 2011.

The team has one regular season meet left against the University of Louisville on Friday. It’s the second time the Hoosiers will face the Cardinals this season, after the first meet ended in a 189.5-91.5 victory. Looze was adamant about dominating any and all opponents. 

“It’s really hard for anyone to win against the same opponent twice in a season,” Looze said. “They’ve never beaten us, and I don’t want to see it. I will do everything in my power to have the team ready, like at DEFCON 1 in level of preparedness.”