INSTANT RECAP: IU football falls to Tennessee in Gator Bowl 23-22

spiufbbowlgame120419.jpg

*Ramsey misses Philyor short on the right side by a few feet and Tennessee will take over on downs in victory formation.

*IU facing a 4th and 10 from the Tennessee 45-yard line. They are not in field goal range, so the Hoosiers will have to go for it here.

*Tennessee initally picked up the yardage for a first down that would have ended the game, but replay overturned the ruling marking him a yard short. Then the Volunteers commited a snap infraction to stop the clock and back the ball up for a UT punt. IU has 55 seconds to go 80 yards with no timeouts.

*Justus barely has enough leg from 52 yards out, but he pushes it wide right. Tennessee takes over with the lead and 2:12 left.

*Ramsey scrambles for a gain of five yards before lateraling it back to Walker, who picked up an extra six yards. 4th down still, but IU in much better position to kick a field goal thanks to Ramsey's heads-up play.

*On the first play of the impending drive, Ramsey finds Fryfogle for a gain of 39 yards down the right sideline.

*TOUCHDOWN: Tennessee ties the game with a 16-yard run from Gray. The extra point is good and the Volunteers have a 23-22 lead.

*On its first play of the drive, Tennessee picks up 24 yards and another five at the end thanks to a facemask call on IU.

*The Volunteers have successfully recovered an onside kick. Replay couldn't confirm it, but the call stands. Tennessee ball near midfield with 4:21 left in regulation.

*TOUCHDOWN: Crouch punches it in for Tennessee. IU's lead cut to 22-16.

*Tennessee is threatening to score its first touchdown today and is bailed out by a defensive holding on 3rd and 10. Next play, Gray moves the ball to within the five-yard line.

*The Hoosiers have to punt the ball back from their own side of the field and Whitehead gets a nice bounce out of it. A 56-yard punt dies at the Tennessee 18-yard line.

*The Volunteers offense goes cold again and fails to pick up a first down. They punt it back to the Hoosiers.

*FIELD GOAL: IU able to move the ball a little with favorable field position, but settles for a 30-yard field goal from Justus. Hoosiers lead 22-9.

*Jerome Johnson gets to Guarantano on 3rd down to force a Tennessee punt.

*Guarantano has subbed back into the game for Tennessee.

*FIELD GOAL: Justus hits from 49 yards out. 19-9 IU with 1:01 remaining in the third quarter.

*FIELD GOAL: Cimaglia sneaks one through the uprights from 43 yards out. IU's lead is cut to seven points, up 16-9 with four minutes left in the third quarter.

*With Tennessee driving, IU's defense is bailed out with consecutive pass deflections to force a 4th down.

*Freshman Brian Maurer has taken over at quarterback for Tennessee's Guarantano.

*TOUCHDOWN: Jamar Johnson instinctivly jumps the route and winds up with a 63-yard interception return for a touchdown. Justus shanks the extra point off the post, but IU extends its lead to 16-6.

*On the proceeding kickoff, UT's Chandler returns it 47 yards and into IU territory.

*TOUCHDOWN: Ramsey runs it in from one yard out. Justus converts the extra point. IU leads 10-6 with 9:29 left in the third quarter.

*Hendershot looks injured again after coming up slow following that 19-yard catch-and-run.

*Ramsey avoids pressure on a 3rd and 5 before picking up 16 yards on the ground to move IU past midfield.

*FIELD GOAL: Logan Justus makes a 24-yard field goal as time expires to cut Tennessee's lead in half. IU trails 6-3 going into halftime.

*Cam Jones gets the pressure forcing a bad throw by Guarantano that is intercepted by Micah McFadden. IU takes over at the Tennessee 42 yard-line.

*FIELD GOAL TENESSEE: IU gets another stop in the redzone as Tennessee is forced to kick a 32-yard field goal. IU trails 6-0 with 5:21 remaining in the second quarter.

*Three-yard rush for Jordan puts Tennessee back into the redzone.

*Nobody on IU's offensive line picks up Shamburger as Ramsey is sacked on third-down. IU punts to the Tennessee 11 yard-line.

*Ramsey avoids the rush and scrambles for three-yards and the first down.

*FIELD GOAL TENNESSEE: Another hold on third-and-goal for IU as they force Tennessee to kick a field goal. IU trails 3-0 with 14:49 remaining in the second quarter.

*END OF FIRST QUARTER: IU and Tennessee are tied at 0-0 at the end of the first quarter. Tennessee has outgained IU 144-to-35.

*Guarantano finds Marquez Callaway for 19-yards as Tennessee gets back into the redzone.

*Tennessee running back Eric Gray slashes through the IU defense for a 20-yard gain down to the IU 34 yard-line.

*Tennessee shows its great pass-rush as they dial up the pressure and get to Ramsey on third-down. IU forced to punt as the Volunteers will take over from their own 27 yard-line.

*IU gets out of the shadow of their own goal-post after a 15-yard completion to Peyton Hendershot. Ball at the IU 23 yard-line.

*IU holds Tennessee on fourth-down at the two yard-line and will take over on downs. Huge stop for IU who ends up not giving up points following the interception.

*On the first play after Ramsey's interception, Tennessee's quarterback Jarrett Guarantano completes a 46-yard pass to Ramel Keyton.

*Ramsey panicked and threw a interception right to Shawn Shamburger. Tennessee will take over from its own 47.

*Tennessee gets called for pass-interference on third-down and IU gets a new set of downs and will be at the 49-yard line.

*IU forces three-and-out on the first drive of the game. IU takes over on its own 30-yard line.

*IU wins the toss and will kick to open the game.

*Injury Update: Scott is dressed for warmups but Stepaniak is not. The offensive line rotation will be crucial for the Hoosiers tonight.

*Sophomore running back Stevie Scott III and senior offensive lineman Simon Stepaniak are questionable to play for IU. Freshman running back Sampson James, fifth-year senior lineman DaVondre Love and junior lineman Mackenzie Nworah will look to play in their relief. 

*The Volunteers started their season 1-4, including three losses at home. After dropping to 2-5 with a road loss to then-No. 1 University of Alabama 35-13, Tennessee rattled off five straight wins to close out the regular season.

*The only other meeting between IU and Tennessee came exactly 32 years ago today. In the 1988 rendition of the Peach Bowl, the Volunteers edged out the Hoosiers 27-22 in Atlanta.

*Make sure to check out the preview before the game.

*Hello and welcome to the Instant Recap page for today’s TaxSlayer Gator Bowl matchup between IU (8-4, 5-4) and University of Tennessee (7-5, 5-3).