Jerome Hunter shows signs of improvement in loss to No. 17 Maryland

spiumbb012620 (4).jpg

As redshirt freshman forward Jerome Hunter released the 3-point attempt with 12:16 remaining, every player on the IU bench rose to his feet. His fifth attempt became his third make as it found the bottom of the net.

Hunter ended the game with 12 points, which matched his career high from the Nov. 12 win over the University of North Alabama. His performance came on a day where IU had four players score in double digits in a 77-76 loss to No. 17 Maryland. 

The Hoosiers saw their lead slip away in the final moments as the Terrapins went on a 7-0 run to steal the victory.

“It's just a lot to learn being a freshman, just a lot to learn,” Hunter said. “Just one of them games — tough game.”

The three made long-range shots were a career high and when Hunter hit the third 3-pointer, IU led by six points. His ability to stretch the Maryland defense gave IU the opportunity to find more spacing in the paint for players such as junior center Joey Brunk and freshman forward Trayce Jackson-Davis.

Coming into the season, IU head coach Archie Miller mentioned how Hunter needed to become a consistent threat from beyond the arc for his team. With the recently decreased playing time of sophomore forward Damezi Anderson, Hunter has seen his minutes increase. It has given him more of an opportunity to further build his confidence on the court after sitting out last season.

Hunter has attempted at least one 3-pointer in all but two games this season. There have been moments where different players have found success from beyond the arc, but Hunter has shown improved consistency to become the threat Miller wanted him to be.

Miller said afterward, Hunter's offensive performance showed something he can do. 

“He's added value in a lot of ways,” Miller said. “He's doing a better job defensively. He ends up getting double figures here tonight but made three big shots. He can add some offensive firepower.”

The game didn’t end how IU wanted, but the team still split a pair of matchups with ranked teams over this week. The Hoosiers are back on the road for two more games next week. 

Miller said this is just the beginning of what Hunter can be for the team. With 11 conference games to go, Hunter has the opportunity to work toward becoming the player IU fans were excited about when he committed nearly three years ago.

“It's a young guy out there that's showing, I think, he's starting to get his basketball legs back, and he's starting to feel good again about playing the game,” Miller said.