Jacobs School of Music recital to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr.

entjacobsmlkperform0116120 (1).jpg

The Jacobs School of Music will organize a recital to commemorate Martin Luther King Jr. Day at 4:00 p.m. Sunday at Auer Hall in the Simon Music Building.

The performance will include choral arrangements and dance performances in honor of the work of Martin Luther King Jr., according to the music school website.

Students and faculty from the school will present works by composers such as Stephen Flaherty, Ludwig van Beethoven and Florence Prince. Songs will include “Freedom Train” by Rollo A. Dillworth performed by the Singing Hoosiers and “I Choose Love” by Mark A. Miller performed by seven students from professor Marietta Simpson’s vocal studio course.

“Freedom Train” was inspired by old spiritual songs, with triumphant lyrics such as “Bound for glory, where peace and justice reign!” It’s reminiscent of gospel pieces of the past, according to the Hal Leonard Music Publication website.

“I Choose Love” by Mark A. Miller was written for a church in South Carolina after nine members of the congregation were murdered there in 2015. Sophomore Andrea Garcia said that in today’s political climate, this is an important message to share.

“As a woman of color, it is really special to get to sing a piece about forgiveness,” Garcia said. 

No tickets are required for this event.