crime & courts bloomington

IU professor files tort claim notice against City of Bloomington after market arrest

filler.jpg

In the midst of protests and arguments this past year over the presence of Schooner Creek Farm at the Bloomington Community Farmers’ Market, IU associate professor Cara Caddoo was arrested July 27.

Caddoo was arrested for carrying a sign through the farmer’s market, according to the press release. Her sign referenced the farm owners’ ties to the white nationalist group Identity Evropa.

A press release from Geoffrey Grodner, Caddoo’s attorney, said she was arrested without probable cause and filed a tort claim notice against the City of Bloomington on Jan. 21. Tort claims allow an individual to seek compensation for another person's wrongdoing. It’s a legal term for a personal injury claim. 

“In this case it’s wrongful arrest, defamation, etc.,” Grodner said.

The sign stated, “Schooner Creek Farm is operated by members of Identity Evropa, a white nationalist hate group," according to the press release.

Caddoo claimed she was wrongfully arrested for violating unofficial farmers’ market rules, according to the press release. In it, Grodner said other individuals who were actively threatening farmer’s market patrons were not arrested.

The notice is a formal message to the city, letting them know Caddoo has the right to pursue these claims in a lawsuit seeking compensation for the incident. The city has 90 days to respond to the tort claim notice.

If lawyers from the city’s insurance company deny the claim within the 90-day period, Caddoo is still able to file a lawsuit, Bloomington spokesperson Yael Ksander said. 

As of Thursday afternoon, Ksander said the City of Bloomington didn't have a statement.