Eskenazi Museum of Art to offer date night event Saturday

entdatenightpreview012220.jpg

The Sidney and Lois Eskenazi Museum of Art will offer apple cider, live music and guided tours of art collections at 5 p.m. Saturday for Date Night at the Museum.

This event is part of a series of Saturday programs which coincide with the museum’s new extended hours, which are 5-7 p.m. Saturday. 

For two hours, couples and singles alike can access all seven galleries and drink free hot apple cider, listen to live music performed by Bloomington guitarist Mike Reardon and purchase snacks at the cafe on the second floor of the museum.

“I hope people will take the opportunity to refresh themselves, recharge themselves in a different atmosphere and to enjoy the art either together or on their own,” said Laura Scheper, interpretation and public experiences manager for the museum.

Special events for this program include guided tours of the African, Oceanic and the Indigenous Americas collection and the European and American Art collection. Also, Jim Ansaldo an IU research scholar for the Center on Education and Lifelong Learning and founder of improv camp Camp Yes And, will facilitate an Art of Improv experience.

All special events for this date night are full, Scheper said. However, there are still openings for the two February date nights.

The Feb. 8 event, which coincides with a performance of "Les Miserables" at the IU Auditorium, will consist of a student-designed "Les Miserables" French impressionists tour at 6 p.m. Visitors can also participate in the Symbols of Strength experience at 6 p.m., where they will tour the museum and then make their own art.

On Feb. 22, the museum will offer the Perspectives guided tour at 6 p.m., which will focus on four contemporary pieces in the museum, and the Community and Identity tour at 6 p.m., which will look at pieces reflecting ideas of shared experiences.

All of these experiences are free and require an RSVP.

Scheper said the museum wanted to plan a date night event because people come to museums to experience art together. This event will help visitors experience art in new ways in a social setting, Scheper said.

“Art can be a lovely way to just have a conversation, whether you’re with a date or a friend,” Scheper said. “It’s an opportunity to explore the museum in a lovely after-hours environment.”