arts   |   community events

The 13th Bloomington Christmas Sing-Along to perform classic hymns Friday

entsingalong121119

The Good Shepherd band producer Philip Moyer performs with the band Dec. 10, 2014, at Clearnote Church. Moyer, an alumnus of the Jacobs School of Music, is the choir director at Trinity Reformed Church and has been involved in the sing-along from the very beginning. Courtesy Photo

The 13th Annual Bloomington Christmas Sing-Along will be at 7 p.m. Friday at Trinity Reformed Church. The doors will open at 6:30 p.m., and there will be cookies and hot cocoa following the sing-along. The event is family-friendly and open to the community.

Philip Moyer, an alumnus of the Jacobs School of Music, is the choir director at Trinity Reformed Church and has been involved in the sing-along from the very beginning. He said a wide variety of hymns will be sung and scripture will be read throughout the evening to share the story of Jesus Christ. The sing-along will feature adult and children’s choirs, as well as many local musicians. 

Moyer and other alumni from Jacobs have created new arrangements that use more modern instruments, like the electric guitar, to give hymns a more contemporary feel. Many current and former Jacobs students are involved in the sing-along.

Caleb Samland is a senior studying classical guitar. He regularly plays at Sunday worship services at Trinity Reformed Church and has been a part of the sing-along for the past two years. 

Samland said the sing-along is freeing and communal, which is something that he doesn’t see very often.

“I actually think it’s the most enjoyable music that I’ve been a part of,” Samland said. 

Kaitlyn Henry is another Jacobs alumnus involved in the event. She plays the viola at the church, and described the sing-along as a huge party that is reflective of the joy that Christians feel at Christmas. 

“It’s just really fun,” Henry said. “Growing up in the classical setting, and being a part of lots of concerts and going to lots of concerts my whole life, I wasn’t used to so much audience participation, and that has just been a joy.”

Henry said that the sing-along has a special significance for her and her family, and she doesn’t think her children could imagine Christmas without the sing-along.

Henry played in the first sing-along as a sophomore, where she met her husband, Andrew Henry. She said they were married a few years later and go to the sing-along, now accompanied by their four children, every year. Kaitlyn and Andrew both play music for the sing-along, and their daughter is in the children’s choir. 

“It’s really one of the highlights of our year,” Kaitlyn Henry said.

More in Arts