bloomington

Staying in Bloomington for the holidays? Here's some fun activities to do this winter break

Cars drive under the Canopy of Lights on Nov. 28, 2010, in downtown Bloomington. The Canopy of Lights is an annual Bloomington tradition which features a brightly lit courthouse square for the duration of the holiday season.

Stuck in Bloomington over winter break? No problem! Here is a short list of upcoming events in Bloomington during the rest of December.

Dec. 15

Newsies: Cardinal Stage presents the Broadway musical Newsies at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater until Dec. 29. Times vary between 2 p.m. and 7 p.m., and tickets range between $17 and $42 and can be purchased here.

From Bloomington with Love: Art lovers can visit the By Hand Gallery until Dec. 31 to experience local artwork in-person at the Bloomington art gallery's annual holiday show. Displays include pottery, paper art, jewelry, leatherwork, ornaments and other pieces. Admission is free.

Dec. 16

Photos with Santa: Visitors can stop by Fountain Square Mall from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 21 or 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 22 for a chance to take a photo with Santa and Mrs. Claus. Take your own photo for $3, or get a traditional printed photo in a protective holiday folder for $10. 

The Gleaners and I: IU Cinema is continuing its International Arthouse Series at 7 p.m. Dec. 16 with "The Gleaners and I," a documentary about French life directed by Agnes Varda. Tickets cost $4 and can be ordered here.

Yoga for the Community: Monroe County Public Library will be organizing a community yoga session from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Dec. 16. for ages 18 and up. The event is free and open to all skill levels.

Dec. 17

Varda by Agnes: IU Cinema is screening a documentary Dec. 17 and 18 by French filmmaker Agnes Varda about her life and experience as a storyteller. Tickets are $4 for students and $7 for non-students and can be ordered here.

Live Holiday Music at Cardinal Spirits: Cardinal Spirits will feature live musicians from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Dec. 17, 18 and 23 with no cover required. Attendees must be 21 years old.

Dec. 18

First Annual Ornaments, Cocoa and Cookies: The Dimension Mill is organizing a free event from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Dec. 18 for families to enjoy food and make crafts together.

The Tragedy of Carmen: Ivy Tech John Waldron Arts Center is welcoming the public to this classic opera at 7 p.m. Dec. 18 to Dec. 20. Tickets are $20 for the public and $13 for students. They can be purchased here.

Dec. 19

Dana Gould at the Comedy Attic: The Comedy Attic is hosting Dana Gould from Dec. 19 to Dec. 21. Gould is known for his work as a writer, comedian and actor on platforms such as HBO, Showtime and Comedy Central. Ticket prices vary depending on date and time, and students receive a discount. Tickets can be purchased here. The Comedy Attic is open to anyone 17 and older.

Lost Letters: Bloomington Playwrights Project is putting on a musical about a man who finds letters from his past while he is preparing for his future with a daughter on the way. The musical is at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 19 through Dec. 21. Tickets are $25 for the public and $15 for students with ID. Tickets can be purchased here.

Dec. 20

Festive Short Films and Screening of Rare Exports: FAR Center for Contemporary Arts is screening short films and the cult holiday film "Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale" at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 20. Drinks, snacks and prizes will be provided. The entrance fee is $7.

Dec. 21

Christmas Bike Ride: The public is invited to wear festive attire and decorate their bikes at 4:30 p.m. Dec. 21 for a trip along the B-Line Trail. Cookies and hot chocolate will be provided following the ride. The ride begins at the Country Club Trail Head on 298 W. Country Club Drive.

Dec. 27

School’s Off, Movie’s On: Monroe County Public Library is presenting a screening of “Abominable” at 1:30 p.m. Dec. 27. The event is free.

Dec. 28

Jedi Science Day: WonderLab Museum is celebrating the release of "The Rise of Skywalker" from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Dec. 28 with a day of learning and activities for fans of all ages. The event is free with museum admission.

Dec. 31

New Year’s Eve starring Brent Terhune: The Comedy Attic is having a New Year’s Eve event at 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. with Indianapolis-native comedian Brent Terhune. The show lasts through midnight with a free champagne toast to bring in the new year. Tickets are $20 to $25 and can be purchased here. The Comedy Attic is open to anyone 17 and older.

New Year’s Eve Dinner and Party: Cardinal Spirits is serving a New Year’s Eve dinner from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. for $80 per ticket and an afterparty from 9:30 p.m. to 1 a.m. for $10 per ticket. The event features a three-course dinner, craft cocktails and a live DJ. Tickets can be purchased here.