sports women's basketball

Second half scoring helps No. 14 IU women's basketball defeat Michigan State

spiuwbbrecap120419.jpg

No. 14 IU women’s basketball overcame a stale first-half performance Saturday in its 79-67 victory over Michigan State. Lead by its guards and a push from the bench, IU secured its first conference win.

Turnovers stifled the Hoosier offense early, despite shooting 50% from the floor. Passes were picked off on their way to the post and push offs during inbounding plays caused several offensive fouls. 

IU’s lack of awareness around the basket lead to second-chance 3-pointers for Michigan State.

Michigan State corralled the glass, collecting nine offensive rebounds and draining 40% of its three-point attempts in the first half. Senior guard Taryn McCutcheon drained her threes and created opportunities for her teammates to do the same. 

IU was down by a dozen but sophomore guard Grace Berger helped change the momentum heading to halftime.

Berger drew a foul with 1:22 left in the half and made both free throws.

After stealing the ball at midcourt, Berger penetrated the defense and finished with a left-handed layup. Following another deflection, Berger slashed through the lane and hit another lay-in as time expired. 

Down six, the Hoosiers began the third period with a 10-2 run led by Berger, junior guard Ali Patberg and two forwards from the bench. 

Patberg bounced back from an unimpressive performance against UCLA with a season-high 23 points. 

The IU point guard used high screens from her teammates to turn the corner on defenders and score in traffic. She hit the team’s first three-point shot two minutes into the quarter and ignited shooting confidence within her teammates. 

Freshman forwards Mackenzie Holmes and Jorie Allen were key to IU’s second-half dominance, providing vital offense and defense off the bench in their Big Ten debuts.

Holmes was the anchor for IU’s offense in the third quarter. The forward decimated MSU defenders on the lower blocks, maneuvering inside and finishing with tough post hooks. She created space with her lower body, gave Patberg and Berger an open passing lane and finished consistently throughout the night. 

Holmes finished with 18 points and six rebounds and was accompanied by Allen on defense. 

Allen closed the night with just four points, but her defense in the paint overpowered the Spartans in the fourth quarter. As the Hoosiers extended their lead with a 74% shooting performance, Allen eliminated second-chance opportunities and gave IU extra coverage as the Spartans tried spreading the floor. 

Despite picking up four fouls, Allen dove for loose balls, closed out on mid-range jump shots and helped IU cultivate and maintain its lead in the team’s final home game of 2019.