crime & courts

Police searching for Indianapolis man allegedly involved in Ace Pawn Shop burglary

An arrest warrant was issued Dec. 6 for Indianapolis man Jaylen Beatty, 19, for stealing from a pawn shop and providing firearms to minors.

Bloomington Police Department responded to a burglar alarm at 1:55 a.m. Nov. 22 at Ace Pawn Shop on South Oakdale Drive, according to a BPD press release. Officers observed a broken window and found that several handguns had been stolen from a display case.

A woman came into BPD on Nov. 24 with her 14-year-old son and a handgun she found in his bedroom, which police determined was one stolen in the burglary. The press release stated the woman’s 15-year-old son was also believed to have one of the other stolen guns. 

The 15-year-old was located at an apartment on South Leonard Springs Road and taken into custody with the stolen handgun tucked into his waistband, according to the press release. He refused to speak with investigators. 

The press release stated investigators followed up on leads and determined some of the stolen handguns were at a residence on East Devon Lane. Detectives watched the area and observed a man jump over a nearby fence and bury items in the ground of a neighboring property owned by Deer Park Manor. The man was identified to be 20-year-old Nicholas Shufford.

Detectives dug up the items and determined the buried items were stolen handguns from the Ace Pawn Shop burglary. 

Shufford had an outstanding arrest warrant from Marion County for three charges including carrying a handgun without a license, according to the press release. He also has a pending case in Monroe County for battery with bodily injury to a public safety officer, carrying a handgun without a license and two counts of resisting law enforcement.

The BPD Critical Incident Response Team arrested Shufford Nov. 25 at the residence.

A different 14-year-old turned himself in to investigators on the night of Nov. 28. He was placed in secure detention by the Monroe County Juvenile Court for charges of burglary and theft of firearms for his suspected role in the Ace Pawn Shop burglary, according to the press release.

Five of the stolen firearms have been recovered, according to the press release.