OPINION: IU football does not have enough depth to compete in the Big Ten

spiufbrecap112319 (8).jpg

Back in July, IU head coach Tom Allen stood at the podium at Big Ten Media Day. Allen emphasized how important improved depth would be for the Hoosiers to be a successful football program.

“If we’re going to be the best football team, we need to play a lot of guys,” Allen said at the time. “For the betterment of the team we’ve got to have more guys fresh late in the fourth quarter.”

Fast forward to the frigid rain/snow in late November and Allen’s team has seen a lack of depth fail the Hoosier football program for a second consecutive week.

First, Penn State iced last week's game with an 18 play, nine minute touchdown drive that saw 60 of the 75 yards gained picked up on the ground. All but two of the plays on the drive were running plays. Penn State knew IU’s defensive front was gassed and took full advantage to win the game.

Of course, depth means more than having fresh bodies late in games. It’s also a key component in keeping a team functioning at a high level when injuries hit. And in football, injuries always hit.

IU faced the task of playing a stout Michigan defense without its most dynamic offensive playmaker in junior receiver Whop Philyor. Junior Ty Fryfogle, who has emerged as the junior quarterback Peyton Ramsey’s unofficial second favorite target, missed large portions of Saturday’s game after having to be helped off the field twice.

IU’s receiving core had been lauded in the preseason for being arguably the deepest position group on the team. However, Philyor and Fryfogle have been the only consistent wideouts. Seniors Nick Westbrook and Donavon Hale have each had an underwhelming season, and the Michigan game was a showcase.

spiufbrecap112319 (13).jpg
Football head coach Tom Allen hugs fifth-year wide receiver Nick Westbrook during senior night Nov. 23 in Memorial Stadium. IU seniors were acknowledged before the game against Michigan. Alex Deryn

When IU needed its two senior leaders to step up, they responded with just three catches on eight targets.

The other position group lauded at being deeper in 2019 was the running backs. The preseason mantra was sophomore Stevie Scott III would no longer have to carry the load, because former highly touted recruits freshman Sampson James and sophomore Ronnie Walker — and junior Cole Gest — would give the Hoosiers a versatile and lethal rushing attack.

Well, James and Walker have combined for 185 yards rushing, or roughly 16 yards per game this season. Gest left the team midway through the season.

The first two had a golden chance to change that narrative against Michigan. The IU offense actually played really well early. 

But the Hoosiers lost momentum after Scott missed three consecutive drives for unknown reasons. The result was IU having no running attack, and the offense malfunctioned for three straight three and outs when the game was still a contest.

Even after Scott returned before leaving with an injury in the third quarter, the Hoosier offense never recovered.

“Having different guys in different spots can be a little bit challenging,” Ramsey said. “But at the same time we expect certain guys to step up in that situation, and we just weren’t able to do so.”

Defensively the Hoosiers aren’t plagued by injury, they just don’t have the talent. 

Since IU can’t get pressure with a four man rush, defensive coordinator Kane Wommack needs to send extra men. 

That leaves the defensive backs in one on one coverage. Outside of freshman Tiawan Mullen, IU does not have the quality of defensive backs needed to play one on one coverage. Because of that, Michigan shredded IU through the air all game long.

“We’re not where we need to be depth wise,” Allen said. “We’re getting closer, absolutely. But we aren’t there yet. This time of year it gets exposed in these kinds of games against this type of talent and the caliber of team we’re playing. So we have to continue to stick to the plan and keep getting better.”

IU has made great strides in 2019, but they will never get to where Allen wants the program to be until they have the depth to compete with the best in the Big Ten.