INSTANT RECAP: IU men's basketball uses strong second half to beat North Alabama

spiubbupdates111219.jpeg

Welcome to the IDS men's basketball live update thread for IU's game tonight agianst North Alabama. IU is 2-0 and North Alabama is 1-1. Check out a full preview for the game here.

FINAL: IU wins 91-65. It took until the second half for IU to finally get going, but the Hoosiers pieced together a much better half than the first to turn what had been a close game into a blowout.

IU had its best three point shooting game, and it still wasn't all that great. Trayce Jackson-Davis and Rob Phinisee led the way on offense. The former scored 20 points and the latter 13.

Still far from a perfect game, Archie Miller isn't going to be happy with it, but it was good enough, certainly better than against Portland State.

Second half under-4 timeout: The fans begin to head for the exits. IU has been in complete control this second half. Though the loudest cheer just came, and it had nothing to do with IU. The score of Evansville's upset of No. 1 Kentucky just flashed on the scoreboard. That got a standing ovation.

Second half under-8 timeout: The flags are out at Assmebly Hall and the IU lead continues to grow. Trayce Jackson Davis is now 13-13 from the free throw line and continues to be great in this seocnd half. He's up to 18 points.

Second half under-12 timeout: IU is on a run again. 12-2 run over the last 5:22 with a 8-0 run sandwiches in their over the last 3:52. That's allowed IU to jump out to a 62-45 lead, the largest of the night. Trayce Jackson-Davis is 12-12 from the line and leads IU with 16 points.

Second half under-16 timeout: IU has started to have a bit more success defensively. The Hoosiers have forced four turnovers in the last two minutes. Trayce Jackson-Davis sent the game into the timeout with a dunk and he has six quick points to start this second half. IU up 56-45.

Halftime: IU leads 47-40 after a quite sloppy and inconsistent first half on both ends. IU's offense didn't get going until late in the half, espeically as some threes started to fall.

But the struggling defense is still present. North Alabama was on fire from three, finishing 7-10 from deep in the half. When it began to slow down from three, IU was able to build its slight cushion. Archie Miller stressed how important it is to clean up the defense, and that hasn't happened.

Rob Phinisee is IU's leading scorer with 10 points. He was IU's best player on both ends of the floor. He has five assists to go along with his scoring output.

Under-4 timeout: IU finally has found a bit of space. Al Durham has made two threes in a row and the Hoosiers are on an 8-0 run. The lead is at 39-30. Defense still hasn't been great. IU's defense still hasn't been great at all, but the offense has been a bit better, and thus why IU has had its run. Free throw shooting has still been IU's biggest asset this half, where it is 14-16.

Under-8 timeout: IU is up 28-24 over North Alabama, but have allowed North Alabama to go 6-7 from three. Archie Miller talked about improving three point defense and it hasn't been better. IU has 17 bench points. Jerome Hunter and Rob Phinisee both have seven points. Of the 11 points scored by starters, Trayce Jackson-Davis has eight of them and all from the free throw line.

Under-12 timeout: Jerome Hunter is starting to get comfortable. He's 3-3 including a three pointer since coming in off the bench to total seven points. He's been the x-factor all offseason and if he starts to get going then IU's offense is in much better shape. Hoosiers up 17-16 with North Alabama having been red-hot from three.

North Alabama TO (14:20 to play in 1H): IU made three subs, and all three made an immediate impact. Rob Phinisee made IU's first shot form the field, Jerome HUnter made a long two and Race Thompson made an impact rebounding.

Under-16: Quite a sloppy start for IU. Hoosiers are down 8-6 after North Alabama has made two threes already. IU has already committed three turnovers and hasn't hit a short from the field. Offense has been especially sloppy, but free throws (where IU is 6-6) have been essential.

Pregame: IU senior guard Devonte Green did not dress for tonight's game. He hasn't played yet for IU this season.

Pregame: IU will start junior guard Al Durham, freshman guard Armaan Franklin, junior forward Justin Smith, freshman forward Trayce Jackson-Davis and redshirt-junior center Joey Brunk. It's the same starting five as the first two games.