sports   |   women's basketball

IU women’s basketball moves up AP poll, Berger earns Big Ten honor

bball5

Sophomore Grace Berger dribbles the ball Nov. 3 in a game against McKendree University at Simon Skojdt Assembly Hall. Berger ended the game with 14 points. Colin Kulpa Buy Photos

IU women’s basketball came in at No. 17 in the nation, according to the Associated Press Top 25 poll. Sophomore guard Grace Berger was a major factor in the team’s success and was recognized by the conference office Monday as the Big Ten Player of the Week.

This honor is IU’s highest ever ranking. The program won all three games in its home opener and is now 4-0 following its first road win against the University of Florida.

Berger led the team in Friday’s win over the Gators with 23 points and a career-high five steals.

On the season, the sophomore is averaging a team-high 17.5 points per game on 63% shooting. She is first in the conference in free throw percentage and third for points per game and field goal percentage. 

IU travels to the Virgin Islands for three days of competition at the Paradise Jam. It will take on No. 5 University of South Carolina, No. 2 Baylor University and Washington State University.

More in Sports