bloomington

Bloomington to burn north shore of Griffy Lake over next few months to regenerate habitat

A 7.7-acre prescribed burn is scheduled between Nov. 6 and June 1, 2020, on the north shore of Griffy Lake. To conduct the burn, Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department has contracted with Habitat Solutions Wildlife and Forest Management.

If you see the north shore of Griffy Lake on fire over the next few months, don't panic. It might be part of the Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department's plan.

The Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department has scheduled a 7.7-acre prescribed burn between Nov. 6 and June 1, 2020, on the north shore of Griffy Lake.

To conduct the burn, the department has contracted with Habitat Solutions Wildlife and Forest Management, according to Bloomington Parks and Recreation press release. 

This prescribed burn is to help the regeneration of oak and hickory trees, as beech and maple trees are dominating the area. 

More of these trees allows for an increase in the variety of habitats for animals such as birds and reptiles. The burn will also remove invasive plant species, recycle nutrients and help prevent wildland fires, said Steve Cotter, natural resources manager for Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department, in the press release. 

The time of the burn is contingent upon the atmospheric conditions and personnel available to keep the burn safe. When the burn does happen, the north shore trail will close, but the rest of Griffy Lake Nature Preserve will be open. 

During the burn, the Bloomington Fire Department is partnering with the Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department for local firefighters to get fire suppression training.