sports women's soccer

IU women's soccer loses to No. 22 Rutgers in overtime

Spiuwsrecap102019.jpg

IU women’s soccer went to overtime Sunday for the second straight match.

However, IU could not salvage a point, surrendering the golden goal to No. 22 Rutgers just three minutes into the first overtime period.

The Hoosiers were outworked most of the game, being outshot 15-4 in regulation. But a strong defense allowed them to push the contest into extra time.

Junior goalkeeper Bethany Kopel had another multi-save game with five against the Scarlet Knights, continuing her ascent up the Hoosiers' all-time saves list.

IU’s chances offensively were few and far between, with just two shots in the first and second half. The best chance for the Hoosiers came with just three minutes left in regulation.

Freshman midfielder Alaina Kalin put a shot on net in the 87th minute that was saved before it could reach the bottom left corner of the net.

Then just six minutes later, Rutgers’ junior forward Nneka Moneme scored the winner in the 94th minute.

The loss didn't prove too costly for IU, however, as both Northwestern and Nebraska lost its Sunday matches. Maryland had a late go ahead goal to win and claim one of the Top 8 spots.

IU has two games left, both of which will play a large part in determining if it makes it into the Big Ten Tournament.