student life national

IU signs amicus brief sent to Supreme Court in support of DACA

cadaca100919.jpg

IU expressed its support for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals recipients in an amicus brief, which urged the Supreme Court stand in support of DACA recipients. 

President Donald Trump decided to terminate DACA, a program created during the Obama Administration designed to give work permits to undocumented immigrants who arrived in the United States as children, in September 2017. 

The program has given more than 700,000 immigrants the ability to work legally in the U.S. and provided temporary protection from deportation. 

The program also provides recipients with a driver’s license and a Social Security Number. With a Social Security Number, students can fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid to help with the cost of higher education. 

The Supreme Court is set to hear an oral argument Nov. 12 in challenge to the decision to end DACA. 

“DACA recipients contribute to our campuses, communities and our country’s economy every day,” IU President Michael A. McRobbie said in a press release. “IU remains strongly committed to supporting DACA recipients, and we believe it is vital that our nation continue to maintain its support – and remove any question of uncertainty – for those protected by the program.”

IU joined 165 other colleges and universities in signing the amicus brief in support of the DACA program. 

"IU will not waver in its longstanding commitment to the diverse and inclusive environment that is essential to an excellent education and that enables all of its students – regardless of their background or country of origin – to succeed in a place where they feel valued, respected and at home,” McRobbie said the press release.