crime & courts

Injuries rise due to Halloween activities

cahalloween103119.jpg

Halloween is associated with a rise in candy purchases, pumpkin patch visits and costume making, but the holiday also results in an increased number of injuries.

An estimated 4,500 injuries related to Halloween were treated in hospital emergency rooms from October to November 2018, according to a press release from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

The largest cause of injury was pumpkin carving, which made up 44% of the Halloween-related injuries, according to the press release.

Around 27% of the injuries included lacerations and ingestions associated with costumes, pumpkins or decorations, according to the press release.

Injuries due to falls related to putting up decorations and tripping on costumes made up 25% of the injuries, according to the press release.

Allergic reactions constituted 4% of the injuries, according to the press release. 

The release included tips to decrease the risk of injury. It suggests leaving pumpkin carving to adults and using battery-operated lights in jack-o'-lanterns instead of candles.

Tips involving costumes included using fewer flammable materials, avoiding baggy clothes to limit the risk of tripping and making sure masks provided full visibility and allowed breathing.