sports men's soccer

Contributing mightily in small minutes: Joris Ahlinvi breaks games open

msoccer2.jpg

Missing 10 games is anything but ideal for an athlete in his senior year. Despite only playing in five contests for No. 10 IU men’s soccer this year, senior midfielder Joris Ahlinvi has made a significant influence on the offense.

Ahlinvi scored the first goal of Friday’s game, which saw IU topple Rutgers 3-0. This was his second goal of the season, both of which came as opening goals in IU victories. 

His first goal as a Hoosier came in the team’s 3-1 win at Penn State. That game was his Hoosier debut and return from a lower-body injury.

“Those were two leadoff goals that just open the game up,” IU head coach Todd Yeagley said. “He’s only going to get better as we move into this final phase, which is exciting for us because he can change games on his own.”

All of Ahlinvi’s offensive highlights were not recorded on paper, however. His second-half play reflected a goal, but his ball movement in the first half kept IU on the prowl and Rutgers’ defense playing catch up.

His near goal early in the match led to a handful of shot opportunities in the following minutes. Although the Hoosiers could not get a ball past freshman goalkeeper Oren Asher, they did put up nine shots, three of them on frame.

Along with freshman midfielder Aidan Morris and junior midfielder Spencer Glass, Ahlinvi pushed the ball deep into the Scarlet Knights’ territory throughout the first half. 

While some of his teammates were getting taken out with sliding and shoulder tackles, Ahlinvi maintained possession through physical contact and kept the ball moving into Rutgers’ territory.

“He’s so physically strong that players will bounce off of him,” Yeagley said. “Once he seals you, he’s strong enough to hold you, and he can break the game open.”

Starting on the field for the second half, Ahlinvi took nine minutes to put the Hoosiers up 1-0. His goal came off a Morris free kick in the 54th minute after he split the defenders and knocked the ball on the left side of the goal.

“My teammates have been unbelievable, they always set me up really well,” Ahlinvi said. “As soon as I step on the field, I try and do my best and be in the best spot to score goals.”

The senior has taken 16 shots in his limited minutes and is a constant threat from 15-25 yards out. Ahlinvi’s overall efforts sparked the Hoosier offense and gave the starters their necessary rest.

“He can just break the game with an individual moment,” Yeagley said. “He can finish from distance, and you get excited when he’s in that position.”

Even though the senior seemed to be nursing his knee and played just 39 minutes, he said his health is improving with every game. 

“I feel pretty good,” he said. I’m 100% right now, and I’m ready to go.”