arts community events

Bloomington gears up for reopening of Eskenazi Museum of Art

enteskenazi102919.jpg

Not only will the Eskenazi Museum of Art be reopening its doors after three years of renovations, but it will also present a MuseumFest with various arts activities and performances.

Nov. 7, reopening day, will feature activities from 4 to 8 p.m. Activities will include guided tours, pop-up talks of ancient art and impressionist paintings and “Poetry on Demand” from Bloomington’s Writer’s Guild where a poet will write a poem for attendees on the spot.

The day will also feature a behind-the-scenes conservation experience that museum goers must reserve tickets for on the Eskenazi Museum of Art website.

The following day, Nov. 8, will feature performances of "Ascension" – a dance choreographed by IU’s Contemporary Dance Department director, Elizabeth Shea. There will be multiple performances that last 20-30 minutes running from Nov. 8-12.

Festivities will continue into Nov. 9 as an open art studio will present “What is Art Therapy?”

The last day of the reopening festivities on Nov. 10 includes a presentation on “Rethinking the Modern Art Collection," as well as a history of the museum tour.

For the full weekend schedule, visit the Sidney and Lois Eskenazi Museum of Art website at https://artmuseum.indiana.edu/reopening/.