sports men's soccer

IU men’s soccer suffers its first defeat as Butler shuts down a late comeback bid

msoccer1-2.jpg

It was the Gabriel Gjergji show all night long Tuesday in Indianapolis as Butler University handed No. 5 IU its first loss of the season.

A fierce in-state rivalry between two of Indiana’s top soccer programs was once again rekindled as it delivered yet another series classic.

The last time the Hoosiers suffered a defeat to the Bulldogs at the Butler Bowl came nearly six years ago, but that streak finally came to a halt as Butler topped IU 2-1 in a back-and-forth contest.

Though IU managed to remain undefeated through its first six games to begin the 2019 campaign, it has largely been a result of late-game heroics offsetting first-half stagnation. However, no amount of heroism could save the Hoosiers from their own mistakes against the Bulldogs.

Through the opening 10 minutes of the match, it was IU who commanded full control, dominated the time of possession and created quality goal-scoring opportunities for itself.

IU threatened to score early as junior defender A.J. Palazzolo got a great look from inside the goalie box in the second minute, but his shot was quickly corralled by Butler sophomore goalkeeper Gabriel Gjergji at the center of the net.

The offensive pressure would not slow down for the Hoosiers as IU freshmen forwards Victor Bezerra and Joshua Penn strung together back-to-back shots in the 15th and 16th minute.

After a crafty pass from IU senior defender Simon Waever found Bezerra just feet away from the net, Gjergji was once again able to stop IU’s threat with a sprawling save just before Bezerra could get anything behind his shot.

In the 18th minute, the Hoosiers were gifted a penalty kick after IU freshman forward Herbert Endeley was tripped inside the goalie box prompting a foul call. Bezerra was called upon for the second game in a row to take the penalty kick, but his shot to the right of the net was blocked by Gjergji while IU thwarted its best chance of night.

Four shots and three shots on goal with nothing to show for IU midway through the first half quickly swung the momentum in Butler’s favor.

A dominant IU defense to start the game began to quickly break down in the 24th minute as Butler’s Jack Haywood sent a long pass ahead to Butler sophomore midfielder Brandon Guhl that caught IU’s back line out of place. With the Hoosiers scrambling to get back, Guhl was able to take advantage of the miscue and sneak a goal past IU senior goalkeeper Sean Caulfield for the early advantage.

The score would remain 1-0 for the rest of the first half as Butler continued to chew time and not allow IU’s aggressive offense to parlay any open looks into scores.

Butler retained its momentum coming out of halftime with IU still seeming to lack any urgency.

A second goal in the 52nd minute off the foot of senior defender Alex Lehtinen put Butler up 2-0 and further jeopardized IU’s undefeated record.

Trailing by two goals finally seemed to inspire the Hoosiers as they were able to rattle off a handful of shots, but, once again, Gjergji was in the right place for the save each time.

IU caught a break late in the 83rd minute as IU sophomore defender Jack Maher gathered a ricochet and found the back of the net, pulling IU within one. It was too little, too late for the Hoosiers, however, with the Bulldogs playing keep away for the rest of the match and draining the clock down.

With plenty of soccer still left to be played for IU, Thursday was just a microcosm of the issues that have plagued it this season. The Hoosiers have played from behind in six of its last seven games now, and it was only a matter of time before an opponent was able to hold off a comeback bid.

The loss sends IU’s record to 4-1-2 overall, and it’s also very likely a wake-up call toward areas that need immediate improvement if IU wants to make a deep postseason run once again.