sports men's soccer

IU men’s soccer goalkeeper Sean Caulfield named Big Ten defensive player of the week

msoccer4.jpg

The Big Ten named IU senior goalkeeper Sean Caulfield as Big Ten defensive player of the week Tuesday, while the United Soccer Coaches organization ranked IU at No. 4 in its Top 25 rankings.

Following a mediocre offensive weekend for IU that saw them best the University of Denver in overtime and play Seattle University to a draw, Caulfield came up clutch in several key moments to keep IU’s undefeated record intact.

After allowing just one goal against Denver in the opening minutes of Friday’s match, Caulfield didn’t allow another goal the rest of the weekend, earning his first career shutout Sunday against Seattle. 

This marks the second time in as many weeks that the Big Ten defensive player of the week honor has gone to an IU player, with sophomore defender Jack Maher earning the award last week.

The Hoosiers also took a slight drop from No. 2 to No. 4 in this week’s Top 25 rankings due to their less-than-dominant showing in the Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament.

Wake Forest University, Duke University and Stanford University were the only teams ranked above IU this week.

IU will have nine days to rest up before playing the University of Notre Dame, who is ranked No. 10, at 7 p.m. Tuesday.