news   |   academics & research

IU Bloomington among top 40 public schools

cacollege091019

Sunshine illuminates the Sample Gates June 28 on the IU Bloomington campus. IU Bloomington is now in the top 40 of the nation's public universities, according to a U.S. News and World Report press release.  Alex Deryn Buy Photos

IU Bloomington is now in the top 40 of the nation's public universities, according to aU.S. News and World Report press release. 

Nationally, IU ranks 79th of 399 schools. Of the 146 that are public schools, IU is 31st, eight spots higher than last year, according to the press release. 

"While rankings can never tell the whole story of a campus, these latest rankings by U.S. News help reflect the success of our strategic campus initiatives to ensure positive student outcomes," said IU Bloomington Provost and Executive Vice President Lauren Robel.

Of the 140 best colleges for veterans, IU is 48th. Of the 87 most innovative schools, IU is 77th. As for social mobility, IU ranks 303rd of 381 schools.

This May, IU awarded 10,000 degrees, setting a record. This year's number of first-year students is the largest class IU has welcomed. Some of these students contribute to the 9,300 minority currently students attending IU. This number is almost double the number of minority students in 2007 and is the largest class IU has welcomed thus far.

The 69 %graduation rate leads out of all four-year public residential campuses in Indiana.

More in News