news   |   student life

UITS troubleshooting internet connection problems across campus

cawifi082619

A Macbook Pro laptop sits on a table Aug. 26 in Franklin Hall. In multiple buildings across IU's campus, students were having difficulty connecting to the internet today. Alex Deryn Buy Photos

In multiple buildings across campus, people were having difficulty connecting to the IU Secure internet network today. 

David Jent, IU vice president for networks, said the problem may have arisen due to a combination of the amount of people on campus for the first day of classes trying to access the internet and the newly-installed hardware and software that University Information Technology Services put in over the summer.

While only 2,000 people were on campus during the summer, the number soared to 40,000 users during the school year. Until now, there was no way to test if the software could handle the full load required of it during the semester. 

Currently, UITS employees are troubleshooting where the problems are occurring. UITS is waiting until tomorrow to decide if anything else needs to be done.

Jent said the best thing people can do if they’re having problems is to notify the support center. Without that step, UITS would be unaware of problems. 

More in News