crime & courts

Man shatters hotel window, found later passed out in ditch with stolen wallet

A 36-year-old Indianapolis man was arrested by the Bloomington Police Department onFriday after allegedly stealing a wallet from a man's home and causing damage to a hotel before passing out in a ditch. 

Aaron Wolverton is being held on preliminary charges of burglary, possession of methamphetamine, possession of cocaine and narcotics, possession of paraphernalia and criminal mischief.

A hotel employee called the police around 10:30 p.m. Thursday, stating someone had shattered a hotel window, causing $200 worth of damage. 

When the police arrived at the hotel, the door to Wolverton’s room was open. They said they found a clear pipe and white crystals, which they believed to be meth.

Around 11 p.m., police responded to a call from a man who had his wallet stolen from his home on East State Road. 

The man told police he believed Wolverton had entered through an open bedroom window before stealing the wallet. He called police after seeing Wolverton leave through a door in the home.  

After leaving the house, police found Wolverton passed out in a ditch with the stolen wallet.  Police said they were able to identify him as the same man who had shattered the hotel window based off the clothing description the hotel employee had given.