news   |   crime & courts

Updated: IUPD issues public safety advisory after attempted aggravated assault

The Bloomington Police Department is searching for several men involved in an attempted aggravated assault after a victim suffered leg injuries.

According to an IU Police Department press release announcing a public safety advisory, the attempted assault took place around 2:30 a.m. Sunday in the parking lot behind Upstairs Pub. 

The victim told police he had a verbal argument with several men who later attempted to assault him. He said he was shot in the leg by one of the men and then shot his own gun at the ground to scare the suspects away. 

According to the release, police believe the victim accidentally shot himself during the fight. He did not sustain life threatening injuries. 

The suspects were last seen driving west on Fourth Street in a black 4-door sedan and a white 4-door sedan. 

According to the release, no IU students were involved in the incident. 

Update at 3:31 p.m. Aug. 19:

Bloomington Police Department Capt. Ryan Pedigo said IUPD was with the 25-year-old shooting victim when BPD arrived on the scene. 

Pedigo said additional victims reported being assaulted by the suspects. None of the victims have Bloomington addresses. 

The shooting victim told police he and his friends met a group of black males inside the bar before they decided to leave. A different 28-year-old male victim was counting his money outside the bar when it was taken from his hands by one of the men he had just met. 

This victim confronted the group of men, and they began to assault him by punching him in the head and kicking him once he fell to the ground.

Pedigo said the shooting victim was walking outside when he saw the other victim on the ground getting beaten. He went to get his gun from his truck in the parking lot. While attempting to get to his car, the shooting victim was punched in the face by one of the suspects. 

The victim told police he shot at the ground after obtaining his gun, attempting to scare the suspects away. He is unsure when he obtained a gunshot wound to his lower right leg. 

The victim went to IU Health Bloomington Hospital where he was treated for the gunshot wound. 

An IUPD officer said he heard approximately five gunshots and then saw a passenger car flee the area of the incident, Pedigo said. The victim said he believed the suspects fled in a 4-door car. 

Police are attempting to identify the suspects, and the investigation is active.

More in News