bloomington

Woman takes own life in Lower Cascades Park after midnight Monday

News-filler

Police found the body of a woman who took her own life in Lower Cascades Park at 12:25 a.m. Monday, Bloomington Police Department Capt. Ryan Pedigo said. She was 24.

Officers were patrolling past the park after midnight Monday when they noticed a woman lying down on the ground. They got out of their car and approached her, seeing a large amount of blood and a handgun laying on the right side of her chest.

The woman was dead at the scene, Pedigo said. Her body was transferred to Terre Haute, Indiana, where medical examiner Dr. Bamidele Adeagbo ruled the cause of death as suicide in a preliminary autopsy.

A detective contacted the woman’s boyfriend, who said he saw her before midnight on Sunday. He said she suffered from depression and was recently admitted to Meadows Hospital, which treats mental health issues.

He said she lived near the park, so it wasn’t uncommon for her to walk to it. She texted him at 12:19 a.m., and Pedigo said the message didn’t indicate she was in distress.

If you or someone you know is experiencing depression or suicidal thoughts, there are resources to help. IU Counseling and Psychological Services is on the fourth floor of the IU Health Center and offers help with stress management, anxiety, depression and more. To set up an appointment, go here. In an emergency, call 812-855-5711, which is available 24/7. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255.