sports student life softball men's basketball women's basketball

Sports to watch during the 2019-20 season

Home Run

Softball

The IU softball team is on the rise with Coach Shonda Stanton at the helm. This upcoming year will be Stanton’s third, and her team will be riding a wave of momentum.

The Hoosiers’ season concluded in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament in May, which left them as one of the first four teams out of the NCAA Tournament.

Despite the disappointment of not making the Tournament, the team’s 36-21 record got it closer than it has been in a number of years, as it hasn’t made the Tournament since 2011.

IU started the season 14-0 and was ranked in the top 25 early in the season. 

The Hoosiers are only graduating three seniors, which makes for a more experienced and talented team to return to the field in 2020.

Women’s basketball

Ever since IU Coach Teri Moren has took over the program in 2014, IU women’s basketball has seemed to improve year-by-year.

In Moren’s tenure, the Hoosiers have had 20-plus wins for four consecutive seasons, won the WNIT in 2018 and made two NCAA Tournaments, advancing to the second round both times.

The most recent year saw IU defeat University of Texas in the first round and compete at a high level with the University of Oregon, a Final Four team, in the second round.

The Hoosiers are only graduating two seniors and returning a majority of their players that made up most the team’s points this season. 

Mix that in with a highly-rated recruiting class, and IU could potentially make a deeper run into the postseason than it ever has before.

Men’s basketball

It’s hard for Hoosier fans to not be excited for IU men’s basketball no matter the year. But the way this past season ended has left questions surrounding the program next season.

An once top-25 team that failed to make the NCAA Tournament and lost in the NIT is now without Romeo Langford and Juwan Morgan.

At its core is a group of players ready to become leaders on the team, along with some incoming freshmen excited to become a part of the program.

Coach Archie Miller still has a few roster spots to fill, whether they be transfers or more recruits making their decisions soon, but fans are wondering when Miller will lead the team back to the Big Dance. It could happen soon.

Women’s golf

For the first time since 2007, the IU women’s golf team advanced to the NCAA Tournament as a team.

The team was led by senior Erin Harper, who had qualified as an individual in years past, but this was the first year she was able to compete at the event with her team.

Harper graduated, but she is the only player leaving the 11-woman roster.

Coach Clint Wallman will have a solid group of golfers next year to strive for the NCAA Tournament once again and look to place a little higher.