crime & courts

Man with stolen handgun arrested for intimidation at Motel 6

Police arrested a 29-year-old man Friday night for intimidation and possession of a stolen handgun.

Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Shane Rasche said officers went to the Motel 6 at 1800 N. Walnut St. after a male caller reported being shot at by a man who was later identified as Juston Young. 

The 23-year-old victim told police he was outside his room around 10:30 p.m. when Young was dropped off at the motel in a black SUV. The victim told police while the two didn’t speak, Young kept staring at him as he walked across the parking lot. 

The victim claimed Young then took a handgun out of the waistband of his pants and waved it at him before firing three shots in his direction. The victim took cover. When he stood up, Young was gone. The victim decided to complete an errand before returning to the motel and reporting the incident around 11 p.m.

Rasche said police obtained security footage from the Motel 6 that showed two men matching the victim and Young appearances standing in the parking lot. Young was shown pulling an unknown object out of his pants and pointing it toward the victim. However, it did not show shots being fired. 

Police did not find any bullets or casings in the area, Rasche said. 

While officers stayed with the victim, other officers located Young based off of the victim’s description at 1722 N. Walnut St. The victim positively identified Young as the one who allegedly shot at him, Rasche said.

Young told police he had been in the parking lot and heard someone “talking shit” about him but did not see the person. He pulled out a handgun to show the person he had one. Young told police he did not shoot the gun but did run away from the scene. 

Young had a handgun on him when police located him, Rasche said. Young told officers the gun was stolen, and its serial number was filed off. He also admitted to not having a license for a handgun. Young told police he had bought the gun roughly two months ago but did not give any other details on how he obtained it.

Young was arrested for intimidation, theft of the gun, lack of handgun license and obliterating a gun serial number.