bloomington

City of Bloomington announces IUPD officer as new ‘night mayor’

News-filler

Bloomington has announced the identity of its new “night mayor.”

Jenna Whiteaker will start her new job as the city’s after hours ambassador — or “night mayor” as some have called it — on July 1, according to a City of Bloomington press release.  Whiteaker’s role is to connect businesses and people downtown at night with city government.

“We are excited to launch the after hours ambassadorship and proud to bring Jenna Whiteaker into this role,” Mayor John Hamilton said in the release.

Hamilton said similar positions in other cities help open lines of communication and improve the delivery of night-time services. The position was recommended in 2017 by the city’s Safety, Civility and Justice Initiative and approved as part of the 2019 budget last October.

Whiteaker earned a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice from IU and is currently working on a master’s in public administration, according to the release. Her most recent job was as a police officer with the IU Police Department, serving in the executive protection detail as well as working on inclusion and recruiting for the department.

“Jenna Whiteaker brings a wealth of experience to this position,” said Beverly Calender-Anderson, director of Bloomington’s Community and Family Resources Department, in the release. “Her public safety experience together with her ability to connect with people will contribute to the success of this position and be a great asset to the CFRD team.”