news   |   student life

Rick Van Kooten named new IU College of Arts and Sciences executive dean

cadean040519

Rick Van Kooten will be the new executive dean for the College of Arts and Sciences starting July 1. Van Kooten is the current vice provost for research at IU. Courtesy Photo Buy Photos

The new executive dean for the College of Arts and Sciences has been chosen after the months-long search that began in the fall. Rick Van Kooten, current vice provost for research at IU, is expected to start in the new role July 1.

Van Kooten will replace executive dean Larry Singell. Singell is moving to the University of Texas at Austin, according to an IU press release.

Van Kooten has been a member of Bloomington faculty since 1993. He served as department chair of physics from 2007 to 2012.

Most of his research focused on particle physics, and Van Kooten has spearheaded two international particle physics partnerships.

Under Van Kooten’s care as vice provost for research, food science and machine learning programs have improved, according to the release. The humanities have also had an increase in funding, with grants from the National Endowment for the Humanities and other national organizations.

“I am looking forward to working with everyone in the College to advance the important and critical work being accomplished in scholarship, academics, research and creative activities,” Van Kooten said in the release.

More in News