sports track & field

IU track and field sends full team to Tennessee Relays

spiutfpreview41119

After taking a week off, the Hoosiers return to action this weekend to compete in the Tennessee Relays.

The meet, which takes place at the University of Tennessee, features competition from across the country.

Joining Tennessee this weekend are schools such as Middle Tennessee State University, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University and IU’s conference rival Ohio State.  

On the men’s side, the Hoosiers come in ranked highest out of this week’s competing teams, sitting at No. 16 nationally.

The only other team in the top 25 is Tennessee at No. 23.

The women, although not ranked in the top 25, currently sit at No. 2 in the Great Lakes Region and will face tough competition from No. 16 Tennessee and No. 20 Virginia Tech.   

The three-day meet is scheduled to consist of 26 events, with the Hoosiers competing in nearly all of them. IU is once again set to compete as a full team after splitting up in recent weeks.

Even with a week off, IU will be bringing a lot of momentum and confidence with it to Tennessee. In its previous meet, the team broke two school records and set NCAA qualifying marks.

After the previous meet at Stanford University, senior Daniel Michalski holds the top spot nationally in the men’s steeplechase with a time of 8:35.82. This weekend, he’ll be taking a break from that event and instead competing in the 1500-meter race and the distance medley relay.

Twenty-six Hoosiers currently hold top-48 spots in their events through three weeks of competition, marks which would qualify them for the NCAA preliminaries later this season.

Adding to the team’s confidence and momentum is the way that it competed in last season’s Tennessee Relays. The team set 13 personal records and took home top finishes.

The meet gets underway Thursday afternoon with freshman Hope Purcell kicking things off in the women’s heptathlon. The meet is set to continue through Saturday.