sports golf

IU men's golf places 13th after final round cancellation

spiumgrecap41419.jpg

The IU men’s golf team placed 13th at the Boilermaker Invitational Saturday in West Lafayette, Indiana, after the final round of play was canceled because of weather conditions.

The tournament was canceled after overnight rain as well as more rain forecasted for Sunday. The Hoosiers finished with a combined score of 13-over par.

Freshman Mitch Davis, playing as an individual in the event, was the team’s top finisher. He placed in the top 15, shooting a 72 and a 69 on the par 72 course. Davis’ placement did not contribute to the overall team score.

The Hoosiers next top finisher was junior Brock Ochsenreiter, placing in the top 25. Ochsenreiter shot a combined score of one-under par.

The next highest finishers were senior Jake Brown and junior Evan Gaesser. Brown placed in the top 50, tied for 42nd, while Gaesser fell just outside, tied for 58th. The players ended with a score of two-over par and five-over par, respectively.

Freshman Harry Reynolds and sophomore Ethan Shepherd were the bottom finishers for IU. Shepherd was the furthest back, placing tied for last in the field shooting 11-over par. Reynolds placed a little higher than his fellow underclassmen, finishing tied for 71st. Reynolds shot nine-over par.

Out of the 15 schools attending, IU placed above only Northern Illinois University and Miami University. Northwestern and the University of Oklahoma were the only teams in the field ranked in the top 50. The Hoosiers are ranked 98th in the nation.

The Hoosiers will pick up their clubs again next weekend as they head to Iowa City, Iowa for the Hawkeye Invitational.