crime & courts

Indiana State Police releases new sketch of Delphi girls’ murderer

sketch.jpg

A new sketch has been released of the alleged killer of two Delphi, Indiana, teenagers. Their bodies were found in a wooded area Feb. 14, 2017.

The sketch is of a male in his mid-20s to mid-30s with an oval face. The Delphi Police Department, Carroll County Sheriff's Office, Indiana State Police and FBI are all assisting the investigation. The ISP website has audio and video from the scene as well as the sketch.

ISP Capt. David Bursten said the newer sketch reflects an image of a younger man than the previous did. It depicts the murderer of Abigail “Abby” Williams, 13, and Liberty “Libby” German, 14.

The updated sketch looks more like the person in video recorded on German’s cell phone than before, according to a press release.

There were about 1,000 tips on the case submitted to authorities in 24 hours after Monday's press conference, according to an Associated Press article.

Police are asking the public to help identify an abandoned vehicle that was located outside the Child Protective Services Department of Child Services welfare building Feb. 14, 2017, in Delphi, ISP Superintendent Doug Carter said.

The murderer is suspected to be living in or have lived in Delphi, Carter said. He is suspected to be between the ages of 18 and 40, though he might look younger than his age.

Williams and German were dropped off Feb. 13, 2017, at the Monon High Bridge in Delphi. Their bodies were found about half a mile upstream, according to the ISP website.

“We have a witness,” Carter said in the press release. “You made mistakes. We are coming for you,and there’s no place for a heartless coward like you to hide.”