arts community events

Indian Student Association to celebrate Holi on Sunday

Holi celebration

If junior Keshav Muralitharan could sum up Holi in one word, he said he would describe the annual Hindu festival as colorful.

“It’s pretty hectic, there’s a lot of color everywhere,” Muralitharan said.

Holi, which was celebrated this year March 20 and 21, welcomes the beginning of spring and the triumph of good over evil. The Indian Student Association will be celebrating Holi at 4 p.m. Sunday in Dunn Meadow.

Indian Student Association representatives will provide color packets and water balloons to everyone who attends the event.

Freshman Varsha Rana, an Indian Student Association Representative, said the festival will bring many students together through throwing the colors and learning about Indian culture.

“It’s meant to be in an affectionate way I guess, just to let the person know you appreciate them,” Rana said. “It just really is a time for everyone to come together and celebrate the springtime, so it’s very colorful.”

Rana, who was born in India and lived there until she was 9, said Holi is a very nostalgic celebration for her, with this being her first Holi away from home.

“I just have a lot of memories associated with it, so it’ll be fun to recreate that even if my family’s not here, just have my friends to have that experience with,” Rana said.

In addition to her own memories, Rana said she hopes the celebration can bring the comfort of home to Indian international students. Rana saw many students celebrating on the actual day of Holi, but said this event will bring all the students together.

“I think just having this huge event for them is going to be very nostalgic and make them feel that there’s apart of home on campus, even when they’re so far away,” Rana said.

For students with little knowledge about Holi, Rana said there will be a short explanation prior to the celebration about its meaning and significance. Muralitharan said it will be a great experience for all students.

“I think college is a good time for people to experience new things, new cultures,” Muralitharan said, “and it shows them how big the world is.”

The event is free and open to all students.