sports golf

Fresh off first place finish, IU women’s golf eyes Big Ten Championship

spiuwgpreview41819.jpg

After taking home first place at the Lady Boilermaker Classic last weekend, the IU women’s golf team will look to continue its success this weekend at the Big Ten Championship in Maineville, Ohio.

“The big thing for us is to stay positive,” IU Head Coach Clint Wallman said following his team’s victory last weekend.

IU finished in a tie for ninth last year at the Big Ten Championship and its top three finishers will all be making a return this year. Those three are senior Erin Haprer and sophomores Priscilla Schmid and Mary Parsons.

Freshman Alexis Miestowski, redshirt senior Kari Bellville and sophomore Angela Aung are the other three Hoosiers playing this weekend. Of the six overall competitors for each team, only the top four will count toward each team’s score.

For IU, the objectives remain the same.

“Our focus is going to be hitting a lot of greens and continuing good par-five play like this past weekend,” Wallman said.

TPC River Bend will serve as the tournament's host course for the third consecutive year. The past two years, Michigan State has captured the Big Ten title. MSU and Northwestern enter the tournament as the only two conference teams ranked nationally in the top 25.

Play begins with a practice round on Thursday. Each of the next three days, there will be one 18-hole round for each competitor, before team and individual champions are named Sunday.