news   |   administration

Four things to know from last week’s IU Board of Trustees meeting

catrustees040519

The IU Board of Trustees meets April 5, 2018, in the Indiana Memorial Union. The IU Board of Trustees met April 4 and April 5 to discuss proposals focusing on renovation and university growth along with the creation of new majors and discussion of greek life. Ty Vinson Buy Photos

The IU Board of Trustees met Thursday and Friday to discuss proposals focusing on renovation and university growth along with the creation of new majors and discussion of greek life. The information below came from IU press releases and Indiana University tweets.

Campus Renovations

The Board of Trustees authorized upgrades to the Data Center, the house for all IU servers, focusing on electrical and cooling framework. Bill Armstrong Stadium will also be renovated to add more grandstands and a two-story building with locker rooms and more seating.

New degrees

IU Board of Trustees has authorized a new bachelor of science degree focused on atmospheric science. Class topics will include climate change and meteorology. The degree was created for students who want to study climatology. The Indiana Commission for Higher Education hasn’t yet approved the degree.

Changes to greek life

The Greek Agreement, a set of guidelines and rules, is being reworked to decrease hazing and boost safety protocols. Dean of students Dave O’Guinn said points of debate for greek life changes are possible chapter size reductions and increased adviser engagement.

IU’s economic influence on Indiana

IU has strengthened Indiana’s economy by being the largest employer in the state, according to a press release. In-state residents have finished about 17,000 degrees, and there are more than 325,000 alumni in Indiana.

More in News