arts community events

First ever Lumiere Ball to support mental health nonprofits

entball040819.jpg

The first-ever Lumiere Ball, which will take place at 5:30 p.m. Saturday in the Fountain Square Atrium, will bring local artists together to raise money for local mental health nonprofits.

The ball is a fundraising event with aims to combat the stigma associated with mental health, according to a press release. All proceeds will go to Amethyst House, a local nonprofit that provides housing for those struggling with addiction, and Mental Health America of Monroe County, a nonprofit mental health advocacy group.

Two local business owners — Bridgett DiVohl, co-founder of Royale Hair Parlor, and Chelsea Sanders, founder and executive creative director of local creative media agency Blueline — partnered to support the ball.

"We wanted to bring something new and unexpected to Bloomington with Lumiere Ball," DiVohl said. "I am excited to bring together local artists and an avant-garde hair show into one event to help break down the stigmas around mental health."

The Lumiere Ball will feature a hair show with more than 25 models, as well as live music, a DJ and dancing. Three of the models in the show are alumnae of Amethyst House who have successfully completed the organization’s program and now work to support it.

In a blog post on the Royale Hair Parlor’s website, DiVohl described the hair show as more than a simple models-on-runway gig. She described it as avant garde.

“More than a runway show, this is a story told through 26 models wearing sculptures made out of hair, found objects, and beautiful clothing by designer Kelvin Burzon and Mirth,” DiVohl wrote.

The event will also bring together work from local artists to represent the experiences of those who struggle with mental health.

"I was excited to team up with Bridgett for this event," Sanders said. "People coming to Lumiere Ball can explore Fountain Square Mall in downtown Bloomington where they will encounter art installations examining the experience and stages of mental health."

Doors to the event open at 5:30 p.m., performances begin at 7:30 p.m. and live music and dancing begin at 8:30 p.m.

Attendees can expect a special experience and atmosphere, according to the the press release.

“Event-goers can expect an immersive art experience at Lumiere Ball,” reads the release. “Art of multiple disciplines will be featured throughout the event including visual art, sculpture, live performances and interactive installations.”

Tickets to the event range in price from $25 to $55 and can be purchased online at lumiereball.com.