bloomington

IU names Kosali Simon associate vice provost for health sciences

cahealthsciences030319.jpg

IU announced its first associate vice provost for health sciences last week. 

Kosali Simon will work with David Daleke, vice provost for graduate education and health sciences, to promote health sciences and health services research at the Bloomington campus, according to an IU press release.  

"I have found everyone in IU Bloomington health sciences to be extremely collaborative researchers at heart, so I think it's simply a matter of providing more conduits and venues to get people together,” Simon said in the release. “I don't see my job as one that will be difficult.”

Simon said this is a good time to improve connections between IU faculty working on related research because of new projects including the Center for Rural Engagement, the Responding to the Addictions Crisis Grand Challenge and a healthcare management master's program in the School of Public and Environmental Affairs and the Kelley School of Business. 

Simon has been a SPEA professor since 2010 and in 2016 was the third person to be honored as a Herman B Wells Endowed Professor. 

"Since I arrived here almost nine years ago, I've thought of IU Bloomington as a campus that has a lot of exciting potential in health research and education," Simon said in the statement. 

She is also part of several national boards and is an editor of the Journal of Health Economics.